1. 5 HTP. Rocking my world, seriously. Who knew? It's a precursor/ building block amino acid your body uses to make seratonin, but it doesn't change your brain chemistry like meds.
2. Using menstrual sponges for blood control while travelling. How cool is it to stuff a sea creature that used to be alive inside you, have it absorb all your bleeding-time blood, then rinse it out and stuff it back in?
3. The night sky and milky way in Eastern Nevada at night.
4. being calm and flexible in the face of changes and uncertainty instead of wilding out and freaking out.
5. containment breath (breathe in, hold it, then exhale a third of your lungs' breath, stop, another third, stop, final third, stop) and "containment posture" where you put your arm over the top of your head, cupping where the soft spot is and breathe into it. I had all these AMC folks doing it, and we definitely did it among the BadAss Visionary Healers on our 2,550 mile road trip from Oakland to Detroit. You instantly calm the fuck down and see possibilities instead of disaster, and know you got this.
6. Micha Cardenas' amazing speech at the AMC: http://transreal.org/2012/07/10/finding-home-allied-media-conference-2012/. femme science, making Local Autonomy Networks to deal with violence, survivorhood. she is a beautiful genius.
things that are not blowing my mind:
1. losing my housing due to landlord perfidity. not having a place to live as of August 1. all the storage units I call having wait lists for 10x10s. the intersections of racism, classism, ableism and colonialism making it hard to find a place to live. the scaryness of not knowing if you'll end up somewhere safe. losing camellia bushes and fig trees I love. losing my unique housing solution and an interdependent web of housemates that have kept me alive, housed, sane, fed and cared for for the past 2 years.
2. oakland is cold and misty in july.
3. toronto and most of the rest of North America is in the middle of a global warming heat wave.
like that. true facts.
all work is shared under a Creative Commons license- credit if you share, no commercial use allowed.
This work by Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.